"Once I was beautiful. Now I am myself." Anne Sexton

Day 5 - Weight 125: Choosing Cholula

Lost 2.2 pounds since yesterday? Yes! It's so exciting to get on the scale in the morning.

Today was much easier than yesterday. I changed things up a bit by eating my "Snacks" with my meals. That seemed to help alot on the psychological front. I felt like I was eating more, having more bites, etc. And I definitely felt more full when I was done eating.

LIQUIDS
  • 2 C coffee, 2 liters water

SNACK/LUNCH COMBO
  • Apple
  • Melba Toast
  • Crab w/ Onion (minced), 2 TBSP Lemon juice, salt, pepper, Dash of Frank's RedHotWing Sauce)

SNACK/DINNER COMBO
  • Strawberries
  • Melba Toast
  • Steak seared on grill with "Grill Salt"
  • Beet greens steamed w/splash of Bragg Aminos

When I first tried the crab salad for lunch it was really aching for something to give it a bite. I thought of Frank's and it worked great. I knew it was cheating but, hey...



After lunch I went through the refrigerator and cupboards looking for "acceptable" spices I could use. Finding no cal, no fat, no sugar options is important on the diet but if I find something I really like there's no reason I shouldn't be using it all the time. Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing sauce is obviously intended for chicken wings and it serves its purpose well. In our house we rarely ever make chicken wings but we love Frank's on other things. Particularly pizza. My brother-in-law turned us onto it a few years ago and it's almost hard to eat pizza now without Franks. Frank's has 5 calories and 460 mg of sodium per tablespoon. That's alot of salt! Frank's also has canola oil listed as an ingredient but it says 0% fat per serving. I'm not giving up on my Frank's but I won't keep using it during the diet.

Another option we use at home is Sriracha. It's used most commonly in Vietnamese cooking and it's hard to find food that doesn't taste good with Sriracha.


Sriracha sauce is named from the sriracha chilis it's made from. Sriracha has a teensy bit of a sweet taste so I wasn't surprised when I saw sugar listed as the third ingredient. A one teaspoon serving has 1 gram of sugar, 5 calories, and 60 mg of salt. Doing better on the salt on this one. But the HCG Diet allows NO SUGAR. So, there won't be any Sriracha in my life for the next 30 days or so. After that, I'll keep that sugar content in mind. It had never even crossed my mind before.

I ended up deciding that from here on out on the diet I'll use the best "hot sauce" that's ever been made. It beats Tabasco by miles. Cholula.


Cholula gives you all the heat & the spice you crave from your hot sauce but the heat is wrapped up in the flavor. In many pepper sauces, the heat IS the flavor. Not so with Cholula. After reading the label, I appreciated my Cholula even more. The ingredients are few and simple: Vinegar, Red peppers, Piquin peppers, Salt, Spices, Edible food stabilizer. No sugar. No fats or oils. And with only 20mg of sodium per teaspoon, it beats sriracha by 40 mg. Need another helpful fact? No calories. At all. While I chose Franks today because it was my first thought, and I'll use it on my pizza when I'm allowed to have pizza again, I'm definitely going with my Cholula from here on out. It was kind of cool to see that my favorite hot sauce was also such a healthy choice.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the leg work on finding the right hot sauce. I have been using Google this morning and your post is the best and most thought out I have found!