"Once I was beautiful. Now I am myself." Anne Sexton

Day 11: Weight 123.4 - Lots of Recipes

.4 That's my weight gain for yesterday. I'll take it because I was really hungry and that's how things go. But today I'm worse than hungry. I'm sick. Sore throat, heavy head, achy body. Urgh! I really don't think that this has anything to do with the diet. My husband had this same illness a couple of weeks ago. And my sister-in-law ended up having it really bad, too. I guess it's my turn... I have no idea what effect the illness will have on the diet, though. I've sent hubby and son on to church without me. But there's a big planning meeting after church that I need to be at. I'm going to rest up today and see if I can kick it in the pants before it really gets a headstart. Then I'll head to the meeting and sit in the back so I don't give anyone else the "gift" of my illness. :-)

COMBO LUNCH/SNACK
  • Apple
  • WASA
  • I had leftover chicken and broth from yesterday with steamed spinach (recipe below)
  • Hubby had a Bison green salad (recipe below)
COMBO SNACK/DINNER
  • Apple (oops! same as lunch)
  • Hubby had Steak & Asparagus soup (recipe below)
  • I had Shrimp & Tomato soup (recipe below)

I took our lunches with me to the meeting, so they needed to be something that would travel well and still be yummy when I arrived. It worked. Both dishes turned out great.

BISON GREEN SALAD
  • Bison, ground and browned
  • Organic spring greens salad mix
  • Vinaigrette Blend: Lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, cinnamon
Brown the bison lightly. Like beef, bison doesn't have to be cooked to death. Leave the chunks in the pan larger rather than smaller. In a separate bowl toss the greens with the vinaigrette blend. Add warm bison and toss gently.


CHICKEN & SPINACH
  • Baked Chicken with broth (see Day 10 post)
  • Asparagus
I made extras of the baked chicken yesterday so they would be ready portions for lunches, etc. Place the chicken and broth in the bottom of a large glass bowl. Add the whole spinach leaves on top. Cover with a paper towel and then cover that lightly with Saran Wrap. Microwave on high for 1 minute 20 second. The spinach is lightly wilted with the broth and tastes delicious. This is one of my favorite things I've made so far.


STEAK & ASPARAGUS SOUP
  • Steak, cut in bite-size pieces
  • Asparagus, cut in 1/4" lengths
  • 2 Cups water
  • Grill Salt, salt, lemon pepper, pinch of mint (dried), sprinkle of herbs de provence, turmeric, dash of Bragg's Aminos, garlic powder
Brown steak with dried seasonings in hot pan, about 1 minute. De-glaze with Bragg's. Add water and bring to boil. Simmer and add asparagus. Cook until asparagus is very soft. Using a potato masher, mash the asparagus to release the fibers and thicken the soup a bit. Pieces will still be whole, not completely macerated.


SHRIMP & TOMATO SOUP
  • Shrimp, cut into thirds
  • Tomatoes diced
  • 1 C hot water
  • Lemon juice
  • 1 C water
  • Bragg's Aminos, garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. sea rock salt, chili pepper
  • Cholula
Marinate the shrimp in lemon juice and hot water in a glass bowl. In seperate pan over medium heat, add seasonings, tomatoes, and additional cup of water. Simmer very gently for about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and marinade mixture to pan. Simmer on low until shrimp is heated through. Serve and add Cholula to taste. (This dish was a little blah. The precooked shrimp is easy and fast but it had hardly any flavor. I'll finish the bag but won't buy it again. I'm used to fresh shrimp and I didn't realize the difference. Still, you have to mix it up and this dish was OK and very edible. Just not very "wow!")

1 comments:

Steph said...

I got really sick two weeks into the diet with a bad cold. But toughed it out and came thru loosing weight. It sucks, but its not impossible. Good luck. hope it passes soon!!