"Once I was beautiful. Now I am myself." Anne Sexton

Day 14 - Weight ??? - Tea

Obviously, I'm still sick and today is the second day of my Z-pack. I had a horrible night. I coughed continually until I basically had to sleep partially sitting up. Then Daphne woke up at 5:50 a.m. needing to go out and then again at 6:17 a.m. Today would be the day that she doesn't sleep until 7 a.m.? Urgh! Although I'm tired, the rest of the day went OK, and I was able to take a nap for about an hour this afternoon.

I did weigh myself this morning but got sidetracked and didn't tally it. Weight for today? Who knows.... Tomorrow is measurement day, so I know I won't forget that! I'm worried that I haven't done well this week; cheating, being sick, etc. Tomorrow we'll know. Let's not ruin today.


LIQUIDS
  • 2 liters water
  • 1 C coffee
  • 1 C Yerba Mate tea
  • 1 C black chai tea

I ruined my first cup of coffee this morning trying the Stevia again. I'm sticking with black for the rest of my life, I guess. I just can't seem to get the amount of Stevia right, or I just don't like the taste, or....? I don't know. My husband really likes it and won't need to go back to sugar when he's done with the diet. He is going to stick with the Stevia. He definitely still misses a little milk, though, and he's planning to add that back in when this is all over.

The last couple of days, while I've been sick, I haven't been drinking all the liquids that I'm supposed to. I know that's affecting my weight loss and I'm trying to get back on track. I also haven't been keeping a tally and that's why I haven't listed the data in my last posts. I have been drinking alot of Traditional Medicinals Teas over the last couple of days.


These teas are a staple at our house and I highly recommend them for both their quality and efficacy.

SNACK
  • Strawberries
  • Melba toast
  • Yerba Mate tea

Yerba Mate is one of the recommended teas on the diet. It's both a bit bland and a bit bitter for my taste. Drunk while eating the strawberries, though, it was actually quite nice. The natural sweetness really complimented the tea.

LUNCH
  • Chicken (recipe below)
  • Spinach
DINNER
  • Hamburger (ground sirloin)
  • Spinach (wilted gently)


CHICKEN & SPINACH "SAUTE"
  • Chicken, cut in small bite-size pieces
  • Spinach
  • 1/2 C water
  • Lemon pepper, cinnamon, garlic powder
Add chicken, spices and water in non-stick pan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Add spinach and toss until wilted, about 1 minute. Serve. This dish really needed a pick-me-up! I splashed a bit of Bragg's & a bit of lemon juice over the finished product which made it a little too salty but still tasty. Next time I will eliminate the Bragg's and just use about a tablespoon of lemon juice.

Cooking in such small increments and with such limited ingredients has created some unique problems in the kitchen. The most obvious is time. When such small amounts are used, your time is decreased. Baking and cooking times are slashed drastically when only 100 grams of protein has to be cooked through, both in the oven and on the stovetop. The capacity to overcook is a real threat. :-)

More importantly from a taste perspective is the elimination of "slow cooking" techniques completely. For example, when you only use 1 cup of liquid because your amount of protein will only flavor one cup of liquid you are limited in what you can do with your flavors. When making a soup, you can't afford to lose any of your liquid to evaporation so everything must be done quickly. You never end up with robust and deep flavors because your spicing has not had time to seep into the liquid and the protein and blend together to create a new flavor palette. It doesn't mean that the food can't be very tasty, but it can't compete with a slow cooked meal.

When this diet is over and the weighing is done, I'll be able to modify these recipes and continue to cook fat free in many instances with flavors much superior to, and more subtle than, the ones achieved during the diet. I'm looking forward to it.

0 comments: