"Once I was beautiful. Now I am myself." Anne Sexton

Bloodwork & Supplements & Prescriptions

When I had my appointment at Amara they really stressed the need for a multi-vitamin supplement and a potassium-specific supplement as part of the diet protocol. They also require that you have blood work done at the beginning of your HCG journey so that they can both see if you have any medical challenges that they, and you, should be aware of and to measure changes in things like cholesterol levels during your diet. It's my understanding that many patients on this diet lower their bad cholesterol, LDL, significantly. I don't have a problem with that but it would be good for my husband who doesn't have a problem yet but is inching nearer to having one. Blood sugars are also lowered and that makes sense because you aren't eating sugars in any form.

Amara doesn't do the blood testing on-site but they recommended a facility located just minutes away, ANY LAB TEST. I walked right in, there was no waiting time, and the technician took my blood more gently than anyone else ever has. I complimented her, paid my bill, and was out of there in less than 10 minutes. You can find them here ( http://www.anylabtestsutah.com/ ). They send the lab results directly to your physician and they'll also send you a free copy if you request one.

Amara lets you choose your own multivitamin but they give you a prescription for the potassium called Klor-Con. A 30-day scrip is only $4 at the WalMart Pharmacy whether you are in California or Utah. There is no reason to spend big bucks on a simple prescription for potassium.

Klor-Con is an extended-release tablet form of potassium chloride which acts as an electrolyte replenisher. Some users have really complained about abdominal discomfort, gassiness, and constipation. I hope that doesn't happen to me. It's going to be too hard to be on this diet if I'm really feeling sick at the same time. One funny thing about the Klor-Con is there's a big red warning label on the side that says: DO NOT LIE DOWN FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES AFTER TAKING THIS MEDICATION. I asked the pharmacy tech why that was and whether "I would explode or something?" I laughed. He looked very serious and said I would have to talk to the Pharmacist to find out. There was a line for the Pharmacist so I decided to just go. After all, it's easy enough not to lay down for 30 minutes. I hope I don't forget!

I know that alot of people already take multi's every day. I'm not one of those people so I had to figure out which one I wanted to take. Two websites were very helpful for me the first article was on what to look for in a multi ( http://www.thedietchannel.com/How-To-Choose-a-Multivitamin.htm ) and the second was a rating system ( http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/article_1786.shtml ). You might be shocked to see how yours stacks up. I was shocked that some of them could even be sold with such low ratings.

I decided to choose between the Usana Essentials, the Clinicians Vitamin & Mineral, and the Solgar Omnium. The Usana looks like you have to join or sign up in an MLM or something. I'm not interested in doing that at any point in my life and definitely not so that I can take a vitamin supplement during my diet! The Clinicians comes out of New Zealand, so it may take a little longer to arrive. It looks like I can purchase the Solgar at my local health food store, or even Amazon. I'll go with that one and I'll let you know what I think.

0 comments: