"Once I was beautiful. Now I am myself." Anne Sexton

Day 13 - Weight 123.6 - Hunger Subsiding...

OK. I'm definitely still sick and this does not appear to be something that my body can kick on its own. This morning I headed out to the South Coast Family Medi-Center in Laguna Niguel where I was fortunate to see Dr. Michael Kent. He was terrific. A combination of intelligence and efficiency coupled with that "small town family doctor" feeling. Perfect. I have to admit that I don't have a medical doctor that I see regularly. I'm (knock on wood!) a pretty healthy girl. I have a naturopath that I've seen over the years, a chiropractor that I love (because when he treats you, you don't have to see him all the time!), and an NAET practitioner that really helped me out last year in treating me for allergenic responses that I was having. I'm not against doctors or modern medicine but I prefer a natural route if I can take one and I believe that a good deal of good health is grounded in a healthy diet, lifestyle, and emotional well-being. Let's face it, in Europe they eat high fat foods, smoke, and drink alcohol and yet they are healthier than we are here in the U.S. I believe it is because they are happier. Happiness counts!

Back to Dr. Kent. South Coast Family is a practice that takes walk-ins and is run efficiently by a bright and friendly staff. The only other time I've been there is when my son needed a sports physical last fall. Both times, the wait was less than 10 minutes and it's only about 10 minutes drive from my house. Can't beat that. Dr. Kent said I have pharyngitis (read: throat infection) with laryngitic symptoms and that even though I can feel myself breathing into my lungs, my lungs sound clear. Good news. He prescribed a Z-pack and I was on my way.

I dropped off my scrip, ran a few quick grocery needs errands, picked up my Z-pack and headed home to collapse into bed with my dear sweet dogs who have been so fabulous about me being sick. They just lounge on the bed and are so well-behaved. That's not surprising for Zoe, who is 7-years-old. But for Daphne, not even 6 months, life is usually quite active and bouncy. She's been amazingly calm and sweet. Dogs have a sense about things. Just one more reason to adore them.

I'm not really hungry today. In fact, from a hunger perspective, I'm feeling pretty back-to-normal so I've decided to go back to breaking up my snacks and meals. I know that feeding the body more often is better - in general and for losing weight.

SNACK
  • 1/2 Grapefruit
  • Melba Toast
LUNCH
  • Chicken breast
  • Spinach
I added 1/4 C of water to the baking dish and seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, and Thai Spice; baked in 375 degrees oven for 15 mins. Then I poured the liquid from the chicken over the spinach and microwaved the spinach (covered) for 1 minute. Very tasty.

SNACK
  • Grapefruit
  • Melba toast
DINNER
  • Halibut (150 grams)
  • Greens, steamed in water with a splash of Bragg's Aminos
  • 1/2 Grapefruit
  • Melba toast
I prepared the halibut in a tin foil pack with 1 TBSP lemon, salt, and pepper and baked it in a 350 degree oven for 18 minutes. It tasted very clean and simple but delicious.

If you're paying attention you can see that I cheated in three ways today. One, I ate grapefruit for both my snacks. Two, I upped my protein portion for dinner by 50 grams. And, three, I ate an additional 1/2 grapefruit for dinner. Why? Well, first off, I was craving the grapefruit and that makes sense to me because it's loaded in vitamin C and my body needs that to help it fight off this infection. I'm not going to deny my body what it needs to be well. If my body is healthy, it will continue to lose weight/inches as appropriate over the term of this diet. The reason for the halibut was a little more decadent. The guy at the butcher counter wasn't really able to measure well (that's a completely different sad commentary on the state of education in this country....) and over-did the pieces. So, I decided that perhaps fate wanted me to have a little more protein tonight. LOL! Well, it was a weighing mistake and I felt like eating it for a little splurge. So did Michael. It was delicious.

0 comments: