"Once I was beautiful. Now I am myself." Anne Sexton

Day 34 - Weight 116.8 - MJ Memorial

Today was an awful, awful, awful, tearful day. As you know, this blog is several days behind the reality of my diet experience. In reality, today was Michael Jackson's Memorial Service (July 7, 2009). I watched all the coverage and, while a horribly sad day, there was genuinely a catharsis of sorts in all of those tears and all of that emotion that could be felt side-by-side with the emotional roller-coaster that's going on in my personal life.

My pre-teen and early teen years were all about Michael Jackson. His was the only poster I ever had on my wall as a kid when I was growing up. It was the one where he was wearing the yellow sweater vest. So, so, so cute! Oh, how I loved him. The power of his music and his "force" to be reckoned with in making the world a better place affected my life in ways that I wasn't even fully aware of before I started analyzing it in the days after his death. Even when I first heard that he had died (I was at the re-opening of Pura Vida Day Spa when I found out) it didn't really hit me how much he had meant to me. I really believe that it was Michael Jackson who first lit that bulb in my head that, as individuals, we actually have the power to make positive change happen in the world. If not for Michael Jackson, there would not have been a LiveAid, Artists United Against Apartheid ("Ain't Gonna Play Sun City"), FarmAid, or the like. These movements put the power of positive change into the hearts and hands of youth around the globe and changed the way we saw our world, our role in it, and our personal power & responsibility. He is responsible for that spark. That's not bravado. That's the truth.

In my later teen years, I turned my interest to Prince and then to punk. But when "You Are Not Alone" was released in 1995, I was a newly divorced, single mom of two toddlers. The song was an anthem of sorts and deeply supportive. I spent many nights listening to it over and over before dropping into sleep.

I have always loved excellence. Michael Jackson was excellence personified. And genius. And talent. I think the world was, indeed, a better place for having Michael Jackson in it. His sadness has always broken my heart. I feel the loss of him very deeply, even though I am surprised by my own feelings.

I woke with only a dull headache, not the valiant throbbing of yesterday. A dull ache is something I can handle without meds. So, today was an on-the-couch-with-my-kleenex-watching-the-MJ-coverage-all-day kind of day. Just me and those sweet little girls, Daphne & Zoe, who didn't make any messes and were so cuddly and loveable all day.

LIQUIDS
I really blew the water today. 2 C coffee, 1 C chai tea, 1 C Peppermint/Lemon tea, and maybe 1 liter of water. I doubt it was really even that much...

SNACK
  • Grapefruit

LUNCH
  • Steak, grilled
  • Tomatoes, fresh

SNACK
  • Apple

DINNER
  • Pre-baked Chicken
  • Asparagus, steamed

0 comments: